1. BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE DEPARTMENT/OFFICE
The JBLF System Research and Development Center, in coordination with the Unit Research and Development Center, is in charge of consolidating faculty and staff researches and development programs and activities which are aligned with the JBLF System vision, mission, and objectives, and the ten-point agenda in support of government priorities, education and relevant national programs and global concerns.
JBLF System Research and Development Center shall be among the leading maritime research center in the country with a special focus in servicing the research needs of the maritime education and training, maritime-related regulatory agencies, the academic community, the maritime industry, and all other stakeholders in the country and the world (by 2030)
The JBLF System Research and Development Center shall adhere to a strong and dynamic research culture actively demonstrating their recognized academic specialization with the use of the latest technology in the conduct of relevant researches beneficial to the academic community and the stakeholders in the domestic and world maritime industry.
The JBLF System aims to develop and sustain the culture of research in the academe through mechanisms for developing better enlightened, committed and capable faculty members, administration and staff with the end view of integrating research into every aspect of the Institution’s functions. Towards this end, the JBLF System has adopted a policy requiring all faculty to conduct research and to submit at least one research output every three years, while strongly encouraging non-teaching personnel to use research as a tool for improving their delivery mechanisms.
- To conduct research activities and programs which are intended to improve the research capability of faculty and staff researchers.
- To conduct researches, programs, and activities on quality education & training in maritime and business related courses, health, safety, security, and environmental protection, preservation and conservation.
- To determine the work performance of graduates of the institution, trace their career paths, and identify obstacles as well as contributory factors towards a successful career and professional fulfillment in the discharge of their role in the various development efforts of society.
- To identify innovative teaching methods and processes and the use of technology for the enhancement of excellence and competitiveness in education and training.
- To identify research topics which align with specific disciplines and research thrusts of the institution and organizations such as IAMU, TRANSNAV, IMEC, PNEE, PSERE, etc. and to maximize research production among faculty and staff.
- To determine the impacts of the STCW ‘78 as amended on Maritime Education and Training.
- To sustain publication of refereed research journals and newsletters.
- To pursue other research programs and projects, when needed, as they relate to the thrusts of the institution.